July School Holidays Special Event
"Be A Farmer For A Day"
Updated 17th June
Last year Golden Ridge had their first BFFD (Be a Farmer For a Day) event. After lots of decision making, meetings, customer requests and positive feedback we have decided to bring it back in 2013...... not only bring it back we are making it even bigger!!!!!!
What is Be a Farmer For a Day?
On the farm we always offer a hands on experience for children, parents and seniors. Each day we open on the farm we have a set of activities for everyone to enjoy. But we wanted to find a way to give families and even more interactive day on the farm with a more energetic and casual approach. Hence the creation of our BFFD event. The day gives everyone (kids and adults alike) the opportunity to get their hands dirty on the farm and have a day out you wont forget. Remember this is the ONLY place in Sydney that offers this experience.
Why is it different to a normal day?
A standard visit to the farm follows a path of activities. Holding baby animals, walk around the farm feeding and seeing the larger farm animal varieties, milking the cow and bottle feeding the baby lambs and goats. This day goes above and beyond the normal activities with a concept that the farmers put together for families to enjoy their day at the farm in a whole new way.
So what happens at the Be a Farmer For a Day event?
Well all the normal activities are available to everyone who visits on this special day, you can still,
- Hold baby chicks, ducklings and rabbits
- Walk around the farm and feed the deer, goats, sheep, alpacas and all the larger farm varieties
- Milk the cow
- Feed the baby lambs and goats their bottles
Heres where the difference begins.........
Instead of having a guided tour around the farm as a group, you have full free range of the farm to do any activity at any time yet still fully supervised by farmers, for example you could start you day by going for a walk where our farmers will be walking around the farm happily answering all your questions.
Heres where the fun starts...............
So on top of the normal activities we have extra ones that people can participate in. Last year we introduced a few new activities ONLY for this special event:
- Scarecrow Stuffing (fill our dressed scarecrows with as much straw as you can and get a great photo)
- Egg Collecting (Find the eggs and we will giveaway some cool prizes)
- Arts and Crafts (Kids can paint some awesome farmy pictures and the best ones will win a prize)
- Pony rides are back (But even better the Donkey rides are back too)
- We are bringing back the large buckets of feed, these buckets hold 4 times more then the normal buckets, but they are different, inside is a special blend of feed that only our famers know and the animals love, Its super healthy for them and you can feed it to any animal for only $15 (this also has a special announcement to come soon about some giveaways involved)
- Gardening (Added June 5th) The goats got in and destroyed our garden earlier this year. Alisa (the boss) has had a brand new goat proof fence built and we will be letting the kids and parents have a go at planting some new veggies to grow.
- Sheep and Goat Racing (Added 10th June) We are bringing back our sheep and goat racing to our BFFD event!!!!!!! This is the ONLY place in Sydney where you can see sheep and goats race to the finish. We also wont be running them just once a day but twice!!! There is a video on our Facebook page check it out.
- Our very first pop up farm cafe will be making an appearance at the event. parents you will be able to purchase cafe style coffee, a few cakes and biscuits as well as hot chips. This will be our first option like this at the farm, so its our test run. Hopefully its a success to make a look at moving it to permanent. (Updated June 17th)
- For the first time we will be selling locally grown produce for our visitors to purchase. Everyone attending the day will be able to select from locally grown, fresh and farmy fruit and veges selected by our local growers. I have been in talks to source some fresh produce to sell on the day. Our local farmers have given me the ok and its now confirmed. As this is our first time there wont be a large amount available, but first in best dressed!!!! (Updated June 17th)
- We are hoping that our farmers coming on the day will be dressed like farmers!!! (Not cowboys and cowgirls) but just like a farmer....... How do farmers dress?? Thats up to you... Anyone who comes along on the day dressed like a farmer will be entered to win some prizes...... this applies to the big kids as well as the little ones too :D (Updated June 17th)
MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED
So you get to do all the normal farm stuff and then extra activites... anything else?
Last year we put on a huge sasuage sizzle.... So again we will be providing lunch...*
A huge BBQ full of sausages (Vegetarian will be available)
Platters of Fresh Fruit
Tea and coffee (available form the pop-up cafe)
Maybe something sweet for afternoon tea (cakes and biscuits also availble from the pop-up cafe)
THINK IT ENDS THERE???? NO CHANCE!!!
Do you have a favorite, homegrown, easy, fresh maybe even farmy dish you like??? feel free to bring anything along maybe for yourselves or for everyone to nibble on throughout the day, this is not a necessity but feel free to use it to sit down relax and meet some other families.
Plus we have more things up our sleeves, but would it be an event without a few surprises, announcements and some awesome giveaways.
Announcements: Updated 17th June
The pop-up cafe and fruit and veg shop has just been announced to makew its first appearance at the BFFD event. As well we will be having a comptetition (Judged by the head farmer) on who the best dressed farmers are on the day.... Big and Little
Don't forget, if you cant make it to the event the farm will operate normally up to the day and after the event so you can still visit us anytime, just check out the website.
More to come soon
When is it?
The ONLY time this will be taking place will be on Satuday 13th and Sunday 14th of July 2013.
The farm will operate as normal before and after these days incase you would like to book a normal visit to the farm, It will also operate as a normal day if there is wet weather
$25 per person (lunch included)
Under 1 are free
Pony or Donkey Rides $5.00 each
Small bucket of feed $5.00 each
Large bucket of feed $15.00 each
How to book?
Really simple... CLICK HERE .... Please be sure to include all details, questions and information so we can book correctly and for quick reference if you happen to win one of our pre-event giveaways
(There is also a form at the bottom of the page)
THIS EVENT WILL BOOK OUT!!!
IN THE CASE OF WET WEATHER THE EVENT WILL BE POSTPONED DUE TO THE LARGE AMOUNT OF OUTSIDE ACTIVITY
THE FARM WILL STILL OPEN AS A NORMAL DAY IF THE EVENT IS POSTPONED.
This year again I will be updating this page and our facebook page with other activites, announcements, updates and giveaways so stay tuned.
IF YOU WANT THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP UP TO DATE ON INFO AND WIN SOME GIVEAWAYS
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK